So I decided to get all crafty and try to make it cuter. I first spray painted it espresso brown, but it was really a chocolate brown (not a dark chocolate-- more like a Hershey's bar). Not a fan.
So then I brushed on this glaze. The problem is that there's not any nooks or crannies for the glaze to stick to. I found a big dry brush and after painting on the glaze with a foam brush, I ran the big coarse brush over it to create a subtle finish. Be warned-- it takes 2 days for the glaze to dry this way.
I then decided to paint the back and then stencil it, but I think I realized how much work that would be. So then I thought I would modge podge scrapbook paper, but I didn't find any paper I liked. But, then I found this fabric at Hobby Lobby. It was on sale for $15 a yard.
I then used spray adhesive to spray it to the hard board backing and then I snuck in a few staples around the edges. And I had my hubby nail it to the back of the bookshelf.
And here it is! (with the sunlight streaming in on it)...